Week of March 4th
We're counting down the weeks until FCAT, which begins on April 15th this year. Much of our classroom activities from now until then will be focused on FCAT practice and preparation.
Preparing the eggs for the incubator
There will be no new areas of instruction and there are no big events this week. Think of the next few weeks as the calm before the FCAT and ending-of-the-year storm.
There are many activities on our Moodle that can help with FCAT preparation in reading, science and math. Our weekly Friday tests are online on Moodle all week so your student can practice for them. In addition, a little time spent nightly with online FCAT practice or IXL math can really help, too! If you would like some fifth grade science texts on a CD for home study, let me know.
We have a car wash coming up next month to benefit the Tallahassee trip. It's on Saturday morning, April 13th, 9:00 to 12:00, in our school's front parking area. We need plenty of student power to make this a success. We also need adults to help keep our car-washing teams going. Watch for a sign-up sheet in the coming weeks.
A few reminders:
- Rockets will be coming in soon. Each PB needs a shoe box so we can start building them after the break.
- We are active with growth and development now.
- We do not have near enough parents to drive to the beach at the end of the year, so that trip is off.
- Remember to Spring Ahead the weekend of Sunday, March 10th. I hate losing that hour of sleep, and when school starts on Monday, the 11th itíll seem like an hour earlier!
Whats coming up?
- Monday, February 18: ProEd Day - schools closed for students.
- Tuesday, March 5: End marking period two.
- Saturday, March 9: All County Chorus.
- Sunday, March 10: Spring ahead!
- Friday, March 15: Great PB Leprechaun Hunt.
- Friday, March 15: Report cards come home, period two.
- Thursday, March 21: Family Night.
- Monday, March 25 - Friday, March 29: Spring Holidays - schools closed for students.
- Monday, April 1: Schools reopen.
- Saturday, April 13: Fifth grade car wash.
- Monday, April 15: Begin FCAT testing.
- Monday, April 29: ProEd Day - schools closed for students.
- Tuesday, April 30: Mid-term reports come home, period two.
- Tuesday, May 21 and Wednesday, May 22: Fifth grade Tallahassee field trip.
- Friday, May 24: Talent show, 1:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 27: Memorial Day Holiday - schools closed for students.
- Thursday, May 30: Beach field trip.
- Tuesday, June 4: Fifth grade dance.
- Wednesday, June 5: Last day for students. Fifth grade graduation. PB CU party. Report cards come home. Dismissal at 12:50.
We will focus on writing and math this week, with FCAT practice each day. There will be spelling and reading, too. We're still doing earth science in science. In addition, there will be some growth and development discussions.
Homework is light. There may be unannounced homework due Thursday and Friday. PBs should be writing down assignments in their notes or agendas now. Read and Respond is due each day.
Due Thursday, March 7: Bring in what you have of your Civil War report. The "report inspection" will be weekly until the report is due.
PBs generally have plenty of time to begin homework in class (so I can see who needs extra instruction).
All Week or Long-Term: Work on your Civil War report
Spelling for the Week of 3/4